Saturday, July 2, 2022

Research

To get coached up on what I might look for and learn during my eleven-lake adventure, yesterday I had the great pleasure of sharing a cup of coffee with Chris Navitsky, the Lake George Waterkeeper. 



As you might imagine, Chris is one busy fellow, so having a chance to share a mug and learn about his work and the state of stewardship of the lake was a real privilege.  His long experience in effective advocacy while navigating the currents of science, the relentless press of economic development, the complexity of local and state politics, and vital collaboration with allied entities makes for interesting listening. As I listened to Chris I felt like an unprepared student attending a Master Class in Environmental Advocacy, but Chris- as great teachers do- brought me along in a way I could follow. 


Coffee poured and stirred, I asked Chris straightaway away about what I should be looking to learn during my row back to Lake George. With a wry smile and a hint of Zen, he started with, “Al, start by looking at what the lakes themselves tell you. They will talk to you, if you look closely.”


Chris went on to explain that the geology and geography and flora of the lakes is one thing, and are profoundly important, yet what I will see as evidence of human habitation as I row along the shore will be another. Does it look like the people who live there care about the sustained health of their waterway? Is there evidence of smart, responsible lakeside development that might protect a lake’s natural qualities? As I talk to folks along the way, what will I discover about their attitudes regarding zoning and planning and regulation? Will these functions be viewed as guardrails and guardians and sentinels or as impediments to “growth” or personal freedom? And as I ask old-timers about what they have seen in trends on their lakes or as benchmarks in their lives on the water, what will they say about the prospects of paying beauty forward?


I came away from my morning coffee with Chris recognizing that my most important asset on this trip may well be my ears, not my arms and shoulders. Each of these lakes will tell a story if I have the wit and patience to listen.

     


Speaking of aging arms and shoulders, I’ve been out on the water trying to awaken the rowing muscles, such as they are. I rowed 45 miles last week, a paltry 6.5 miles-per-day average, in preparation for a Finger Lakes trip that will demand 35 to 40 miles on some days and close to 400 miles in total. 


The muscles I am trying to awaken are hitting the snooze button and telling me to roll over; they’ll wake up on July 13th. 


I hope they will.


Finally, thank you, Fabulous Finger Lakes Folks, for your early expressions of interest and support in this adventure, such as it is. I’m certainly not the first person who’s done this, nor will I by any means be the “fastest,” or even the oldest. But I feel I can vie for the title of Most Appreciative for the opportunity, for your hospitality, and for being in place and a moment when I can even give it a try. As I follow the national news and lament the division and intractable polarization we continue to embrace, I can at least look forward to learning learn all I can about how we’re taking care of the blessing and beauty of our lakes. 


I hope that’s enough.


Mo’ latah!


1 comment:

  1. Al - I was interested in this post; in particular the recommendations Chris provided regarding "Does it look like the people who live there care about the sustained health of their waterway? Is there evidence of smart, responsible lakeside development that might protect a lake’s natural qualities?"
    Wow! Spot on. We all love the waterways of New York including our lakes and streams, BUT what are we doing to protect and sustain? This, in my opinion, should be the most important discovery from your upcoming travels.
    We look forward to supporting your trip thru the ElevenLapsAround and here on Otisco, the eastern most Finger Lake, we hope you will find a community with a strong desire and plan to sustain and protect our small but important lake.
    As I've indirect directly to you in separate email, we look forward to your AroundOtisco and stand ready to support you. We also think we have a strong program to sustain and protect.
    Recent OLPA meeting agenda is representative of this:
    https://www.otiscolakepreservation.org/initiatives

    Please let me know how we can support your travels.
    Richard Thomas

    ReplyDelete