Sunday, July 24, 2022

Otisco Lake

 

28.3 yesterday on Cayuga

10.5 today on Otisco



Paul and Barbara Nearpass have been my home port on Cayuga for two days, and they were kind enough to share time and meals with me, a total stranger, even amidst their own family reunion. I came away with stories of travel, entrepreneurship, the lake, and life, and their hospitality through the hubbub of reunion was extraordinary. Last night we all went out to the middle of the lake, tubed the kids, and then floated on our backs in 200 feet of water like it was all our own private preserve.

I thought I wanted to be adopted by the Olneys, and that dream is still alive, but the Nearpass crew look to be contenders too. I’m on a roll with fantastic hosts that I want to bring home with me.






Today was Otisco with Richard Thomas, who rowed alongside in a slow lope in his Alden shell. He showed me more Finger Lakes Land Trust sites, a fantastic example of the Marcellus Shale that’s driving the fracking in Pennsylvania, and a preserve that had moved from private ownership to FLLT ownership to, finally, county stewardship … forever. A fantastic example of land conservancy at its best, and a monarch butterfly posing shamelessly on its milkweed. Richard and his wife Chris bought me dinner after a nice discussion of my row with a dozen or so people at the Amber Inn. Tim and Marge Creamer organized the gathering, and it’s heartening to see evident pride in and love for a place translate into committed action in ways great and small. These Otisco folks love their lake, and it’s easy to see why – clear water (it supplies much of Syracuse), a southern view of rolling mountains, high ridges and craggy cliffs, and much still-natural shoreline.



I swam twice, but only before I saw this picture of the kinds of Tiger Muskies they pull out of this lake. I didn’t hear any recounting of attacks, but I only know I’ll be the one when it happens. Happily, I’ll see no Tiger Muskies in Skaneateles tomorrow. I hope.

Looking south on Otisco


I want to start writing more about the lakes, but tonight, with only two lakes to go, my mind is wrapped up in gratitude to the many hosts and kindnesses I have received on this journey. Don and Elaine Cook, who were the first to get the word out and from which the hospitality flower bloomed, to Ray Case on Conesus, Don and Elaine on Honeoye, Alan Locey and Trish on Keuka, Maura O’Toole and Jake and Karen Stark on Seneca, and Paul and Barbara Nearpass on Cayuga. Thee people will soon populate my Christmas card list and will then regret their largess.

Tomorrow, the Gold Coast? Everyone talks of the wealth along the shores of Skaneateles, the clarity of the water (source for Syracuse), the majesty of the cliffs … and tomorrow it will host a vagabond-looking wayfarer pulling for home.

I’m betting it will live up to its billing, as has everything else I’ve embraced on this trip …

Love ya!       

 


2 comments:

  1. We enjoyed having you visit Otisco Lake and talking with our group about your travels, adventures and learnings along the way. Safe journey along the rest of your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the extra time to visit with our group after your strong row during the day. Otisco Lake waters go to towns and villages in Onondaga county except for the city of Syracuse and the village of Skaneateles which is provided by Skaneateles.

    ReplyDelete