Monday, July 18, 2022

Keuka Lake

 

Keuka Lake – 35 miles

Tonight again with Alan and Trish in Hammondsport




Off early in the mist, then rain, then very strong southerly winds which pushed me to the north end of West Branch of Keuka Lake … then  a tough slog back to Penn Yan and the outlet to Seneca Falls, where I called it a day. 35 miles, almost 10 hours in the seat.

Kids, I’m re-thinking this ‘laps around’ pledge, if pledge it was, because if the winds blow on Seneca and Cayuga the way they did today, I could well become a casualty. A naturalist and gatekeeper at a park on Keuka today told me that she lives on Seneca Lake and that, ‘Anybody rowing a boat like yours on a day like today would have to be nuts.’   

I’m going to check it out tomorrow, talk to the locals, and reconsider my options. I hope I don’t disappoint you if septuagenarian sensibility trumps boyish enthusiasm.

Sorry for that verb.

Keuka College

Even after heavy rains, Keuka Lake looked terrific today – lots of clear bottom through very clear water in most places. Their septic system oversight should become a model, a goal boldly stated, for Lake George. Each residence receiving an inspection at least every five years is the least we should do; prevention is always less expensive – and usually more effective – than remediation. It would be tragic if it takes two or three or four harmful algae blooms (HAB’s) to score support for doing the right thing.

Tonight Alan and Trish treated me to a ride on mom’s old pontoon boat (‘The Princess’), dinner lakeside, and a brisk sprint home through the rain. Mom would have loved it. Her kid sure did.

So tomorrow I scope out Seneca Lake and consider what is possible. Keuka Lake has been a joy.

Water steward Stephanie gave my boat a good going over after my row today, and Alan opined that I was the invasive she should be looking for. ‘I’ve seen worse,’ she might have said under her breath, and we were free to go.

Six lakes behind me now, but two monsters ahead … it’s going to get interesting.   



No comments:

Post a Comment